The Sweet Three Vol. 1
A British man was murdered by a Norwegian.
The Phuket News reports that a British national was killed at a resort in Phuket on Wednesday, August 21st.
The staff at the resort was called twice to check on a disturbance from an overly intoxicated Roger Bullman, a Norwegian guest. Next door Amitpal Singh Bajaj, a British man on holiday with his wife and son, was celebrating his 10 year anniversary.
Around 3 in the morning, Mr. Bajaj confronted his neighbor for disturbing his family. Mr. Bullman responded by breaking through a door joining the two rooms and attacking the British man. Mr. Bajaj’s wife and child escaped to the front desk and requested assistance. A security guard went to the room and found Mr. Bullman choking Mr. Bajaj. Police later arrived and arrested Mr. Bullman.
He was charged with trespass by an act of violence and manslaughter. Police requested that the judge deny him bail, but Norwegian media outlets report that Mr. Bullman was released on 200,000 baht bail. The Norwegian faces up to 15 years in prison for the manslaughter charge.
A Japanese student went viral for blocking motorbikes on Bangkok sidewalks.
A Facebook video clip of a university student blocking the path of motorbikes on a Bangkok sidewalk went viral this week. Megumi Morimota, from Hiroshima prefectures, told bikers that it was dangerous to drive on the footpath. She says some riders were understanding, but others were angry.
The student’s peaceful protest against traffic law violators comes on the heels of a recent police initiative to fine people for riding their motorbikes on sidewalks. Fines for driving on the sidewalk were doubled to 2,000 baht at the beginning of August, though it remains to be seen whether or not the fines have been able to affect change.
(Photo from @PRKUCSC Facebook account)
A dugong died.
Another dugong has died in the care of marine conservationists in Thailand. Jamil, the most recent dugong to pass, was found on a Krabi beach back on July 1st and named by Princess Sirivannavari Nariratana Rajakanya. The dugong died from a lung infection that many people attribute to ingestion of plastic waste.